Random thoughts on beauty

As a black female growing up I never felt pretty enough because how I looked did not reflect all the images that were thrown on me. I was not thin enough, I did not have blond hair, my teeth were not pearly white nor was I light enough to be considered beautiful. Just think about it how many size 14 do you see gracing magazine covers? How many people of color do you see on magazine stands, billboards, TV screens and movie screens? A lot of time minorities would be on covers of magazines that cater to that particular group. If there are people of color on magazine covers they are either Tyra Banks, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek or Halle Berry. It is safe to say that these women have crossover. What about Sanaa Lathan? Nia Long? Aishwarya Rai? These women are absolutely beautiful but they barely get coverage in the western world. As much as I do love Keira Knightley, I am a little annoyed at her sudden stardom while Pariminder Nagra barley makes any ink. She does have a steady job on ER but she is no way a household name like Keira. I really believe this is due to the fact that Hollywood is still racist and continues to push images of the white beauty on us. It is not only with females, how much coverage do Morris Chestnut or Shemar Moore get? Does the average American know their names like they know Brad Pitt or George Clooney? Ask around and see, I can guarantee that would be a no.
As I grew older I learned to accept all that God has given me. I love my complexion and that is something that a lot of people cannot say. It can be hard to admit it when black is considered to be ugly and sinister. In music videos now a days if you are a black female you have to have light complexion to be considered beautiful. I myself am not a dark female nor would I consider myself to be super light. When people see me they now that I am black and that is the way I like it. Why should i try to fit into a category of beauty that is not who I am. I did not need to spend hours on end trying to get my hair straightened nor do I need to spend hundreds of dollars getting a hair weave. God made me this way for a reason and I know he did not make no mistakes on me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?