Post Racial Era

I had every intention of writing a cutsie blog post probably about something frivolous but something caught my attention. While browsing through feministing.com I came across a post about cop brutality in Seattle. I have included the video below because I believe everyone should get a chance to view it and make up their minds before reading my opinions.
Personally, this video left a bad taste in my mouth. The victim might be charged with resisting arrest but clearly the cop was in the wrong here. There is always a way to handle a situation without resulting in violence. Who would think that you could get beaten up for jaywalking. Its obvious to me that the girls in this video are minors. They should be worried about where they are going to college not about who is going to pay their parole. This video got me thinking about the myth of post racial America.

Everywhere I turn I hear people frantically discussing this myth, its gotten to the point where a lot of them believe in a post racial America like kids believe in the Easter Bunny.I do not mean to break any hearts but that's the reality of the situation. Ever since the election of President Obama people have gone about discussing post racial America. We can't be racist our 44th president is an African American. Then explain to me how a man could be dragged for 10 miles after being fatally shoot in the head. Explain to me how a friend of mine can be verbally assaulted. Explain to me why there are more black males in prison than in college. Explain to me how it a crime committed by one group of people can penalized but when other group of people commit it they get a slap on the wrist. Explain to me how hate crimes have been on the rise since fall of 2008.

I am sure there will be people complaining about how black people like to bring up the race card. Like it is something that can be hidden or something. Race is like the elephant in the room. It is a enormous presence that we like to pretend does not exist. But it is quite hard not to notice something that huge, actually its impossible. It is time we actually pay attention to the elephant in the room instead of just ignoring it. When we pretend something is not there it has a magical way of becoming an even bigger problem. Then you are left with the question what bleep just happened?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?