Unemployed in Greenland

I didn't plan this. I sure as hell didn't expect this. But here I am, 23 years old and unemployed in Greenland(anyone who has seen Princess Bride understands that expression). Four years ago I had this grand master plan. Get my B.A in Psychology and immediately follow it with a Masters in Marriage and Family Counseling. Once I was a certified Marriage and Family Therapist I had obtained my goal. That was the plan. Unfortunately life never goes according to plan.Somehow during the eve of my graduation their was a global recession. People were losing jobs left and right. Suddenly having a college degree was not a guarantee that you would find a good job. You needed experience if a company was going to gamble on you. The problem was not everyone was willing to offer you that experience. Talk about a double edged sword. Global recession was only part of the reason I found myself debarked in unemployed in Greenland.During my sophomore year of college I realized that marriage and family therapy was not for me. I found myself going towards a path that I did not plan. It was my destined path. I discovered new things about myself and what I wanted to do with my life. The planned path was acceptable, something that my conventional family would approve of. If I say I want to get a masters in Women& Gender Studies their response would be
What are you going to do with that?
You can't find a job with that degree?
It is not like Psychology has done much for me since graduation. From the shore of Unemployed in Greenland I watch people sail the seas of certainty. I feel like one stop away from Loserville. The truth is one has to be strong in Greenland. You have to trust that your decisions in the long haul would be worthwhile. That you will feel a sense of fulfillment once the journey has come to a close.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?