On a Serious Note

I lived in Tunisia for two years, the last two years of high school. It was interesting for me to live in a country that had so many influences. There was an African, Middle Eastern and Mediterranean presence everywhere you went. Never did I imagine that President Ben Ali would step down from his presidency. When elections took place the ballots were color coded, so no one took the risk to vote for the opposition. People were advised not to speak ill of the president because any sort of opposition was crushed. I realized that there was frustration with the leadership but for many it seemed that they were content with the situation. Tunisia was developing at a rapid speed and they were one of the few African nations that did not rely on foreign products. They produced everything themselves, it was wonderful to see. Still to this day I will say Tunisia had the best canned tuna fish and olive oil in the whole wide world. Anyways I am going off track. Earlier this year President Ben Ali stepped down from his 23 year rule. It was a victorious day because the people's voice was finally heard. It ignited a flame and several countries in Northern Africa and the Middle East began to follow suite. I could not believe it when President Mubarak stepped down. I had a feeling that with the success in Tunisia and Egypt that protests in the region would intensify. I was wondering if Libyans would think about protesting against Qaddafi(or Gadhafi or Gaddafi depending on where you are from). Then the next morning it happened, protests started happening in Libya. I was ecstatic about the idea of him finally stepping down. My heart broke when I heard that ammunition was being fired at the protesters. Today it is reported that at least 250 people were killed in Tripoli alone, alone. It is being reported that airplanes and helicopters are firing at the crowds. Two pilots sought out refuge in Malta. Bless their hearts for not wanting to kill their people. There is even an execution notice for soldiers who do not obey the orders. Yet the protesters( really freedom fighters in my eyes ) are still out there demanding change. I am not sure if I would have the guts to step outside my house knowing that it could cost me my life. What kind of leader would massacre his own people? Can you imagine what he could do to others? He needs to be held accountable for his crimes against humanity. I always knew that Qaddafi was crazy and dangerous but this is just ridiculous. The world needs to wake up and help the Libyan people achieve democracy. It is getting to the point where there are camps that are being set up by the Egyptian and Tunisian borders because people are fleeing. I do not recall people fleeing from Tunisia nor Egypt. I never thought it would come to this. I really believe that Qaddafi never dreamt that this would happen to him, that his own people would turn against him. He has been in power since 1969, crazy right. That is the problem with power, people do whatever they can to maintain it. In a way by having a great power it dehumanizes you. You became detached from humanity and the ability to distinguish what is right from what is wrong. It really takes a wonderful spirit to use their power for good and to not be drowned in the ugliness of it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?