Deal Breaker

Deal breaker: any issue or factor that is significant enough to terminate a negotiation (Dictionary. Com)
Deal breaker:  ‘the catch’ that a particular individual cannot overlook and ultimately outweighs any redeeming quality the individual may possess. (Urban Dictionary)
A few days ago I was listening to a radio program and a man called in for relationship advice. He wanted to know if he should break up with his girlfriend who had "crazy" political views. It turns out that she was more of a MSNBC girl and he was more of a FOX News guy. Funny, I never thought of MSNBC as being a liberal news network. You learn something new every day. Anyway, it got me thinking about deal breakers in relationships. It is a general rule of thumb not to discuss politics or religion when you are just starting to get to know someone. Otherwise, you find yourself sneaking outside the bathroom window or alone at a restaurant table watching your food get cold. What happens when you start seeing someone, the sparks are flying and you find out their beliefs contradict your own? Do you walk away? Personally I enjoy a difference in opinion. I get a rush from a really good debate. I am not sure that I could be with someone whose beliefs are the complete polar opposite to mine. That is my deal breaker. There are some people who walk away when they find out kids are involved. There are others who break up over wet towels on the floor. Then, there are the few who cannot get past the receding hairline. Whatever it may be, deal breakers never cease to amaze me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?