Frailty of Life

Almost a week ago, the unthinkable happened in Aurora, Colorado. During the midnight showing of the highly anticipated conclusion to the Batman trilogy The Dark Knight Rises, an armed gunman opened fire to unsuspecting crowd. It is the worst mass shooting in  US History. 12 people were killed and another 58 were wounded.

I remember when I woke up Friday morning. I was thinking about what day would be best to see The Dark Knight Rises. To say I was looking forward to the film would be an understatement. When my twin sister told me  the unfathomable, I was in complete shock. Movies have always been my comfort from the storm and the movie theaters have been my sanctuary. For a place that is so sacred to me to be attacked, shook my core. If I can't be safe going to the movies, I can't be safe anywhere. It is just a reminder that life is fragile and tomorrow is not promised to no one.

One thing that irked me during the news coverage of the shooting, was the commentary from viewers. When it was announced that the youngest victim was a few months old, people had the audacity to ask who would bring their baby to a midnight screening. The problem is not the parents who brought their child. The fact of the matter is the gunman knew children were in the cinema and still shoot at the crowd. That is the attitude of man who did not give a damn, a complete madman.


This tragedy only reinforced my belief  that it is time for the United States to have stricter laws when it comes to gun control. How many people have to die for us to realize that we have a problem? People may argue about the Second Amendment but when it was adopted as part of the Bill of Rights it was 1791. The nation was young, we were coming out of a war, we were hunting for food and living in a terrain that we do not know too much about. It made sense to own a weapon. Guns are more advanced now and it is far too easy for people to have access to guns.

Aurora Massacre reminded me that in the dialogue of terrorism ,we do not address homegrown terrorism. It is a discussion that we should be having but people are too quick to link Islam with terrorism.  From the Oklahoma bombings to the DC Sniper to the recent tragedy in Aurora, terrorists do not only have to strike in the name of Allah.  In the war against terrorism we must address the too often overlooked fact, that anyone could be a terrorist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

What Can You Do Now?

Best Shows to Binge Watch During Quarantine