Twitter: The nest for Cyber bullies

A little over three years ago I decided to join Twitter. I had been hearing about it and  I decided to check it out. A place where you get updates from your favorite celebrities and up to date news briefs, c'mon its a no brainer   Don't get it twisted I have enjoyed my three years with Twitter but there seems to be a humongous flaw with this particular social media. Twitter seems to breed assholes and trolls  who we love to call cyber-bullies. What is it about being behind our computer that allows us to write every single idiotic thought that crosses our mind. It is if there is no filter and no thought about how their words affect a second party. Sometimes I think people just say things to evoke a reaction. I have read death threats, racial slurs, homophobic outbursts and misogynistic comments. It really does leave a bad taste in your mouth. Here are few cases asshole syndrome on Twitter this past year.

1. Kelly Clarkson
When Kelly Clarkson mentioned that she liked Ron Paul on her twitter account, all hell broke loose. There were hundreds of patronizing tweets. I almost had a leave Kelly alone moment  She has a right to her opinion and just like you have a right to an opinion. She did not bash anyone in her tweet. I admit that I agreed with her comment, out of everyone in the Republican primary I liked Ron Paul the most. I would not have voted for him but I liked him.

2. Jane Pitt
Earlier in the year Jane Pitt wrote her local newspaper encouraging her community to not consider religious differences in a choice of candidate. This letter was in support of Governor Romney who is a practicing Mormon. There seemed to be a few Christians at the time that had a problem with this fact. I don't really care about your religious affiliations as much as I care whether your core values match my own. Where she got heat for her letter was when she mentioned President Obama. She did not like the fact he supported abortion and gay marriage. You can imagine the twitterverse went nuts. There were people writing death threats among things to Mrs. Pitt. As someone who is pro-choice and a supporter of marriage equality, I did not agree with her comments but never in my right mind would I ever write a death threat. I respect her opinion and she is entitled to it.

3. Zayn Malik
Zayn Malik is the resident bad boy in the worldwide phenomenon One Direction. He happens to be British Pakistani. Since One Direction crossed over the pond he has been receiving several racist tweets about his religious and ethnic background. There is nothing wrong about practicing Islam. It is a beautiful religion and unfortunately extremists have given Islam a bad name. I think it is wonderful to have a global public figure who is proud of their heritage. It can't be easy with so much Islamophobia in the world today. I am still waiting on a global Liberian figure. When I first heard of One Direction I was so excited that he was in the band. There are not too many people with Southern Asian descent that have crossover in the music industry besides Jay Sean. I am very protective of Zayn, he along with Harry are my sons in my head. No one talks smack about my cubs.

4. Stacey Dash
Recently Stacey Dash( Dionne from Clueless)  posted a photo of herself endorsing Governor Romney. Immediately she began to receive racist tweets. Just because someone does not support the candidate that you are voting for does not mean you have the right to attack them. Here you are supporting a Black President and you are sending racist messages to a Black Female. You have gone and lost your mind. What happened to civil discourse? I applaud her for encouraging people to vote. I might not agree with her choice of candidate but she has every right to support him. I just like I have every right to support my candidate, the POTUS.

5. Black Celebrities
I don't know why people go straight to the n word when they attack a black person. If that does not work out they throw out the term monkey. Samuel L. Jackson has retweeted some of his comments he receives and they are disgusting. When my favorite webseries( The Mis-adventures of a Awkward Black Girl) won at the Shorty Awards, they received racist backlash. One tweet from @Mersh mentioned that the smell of Trayvon Martin was better than the show. I don't encourage violence but he deserves to be bitch-slapped. Once again what in the world was he thinking when he wrote that on Twitter. We all remember what people were saying about the casting of The Hunger Games. If you read the books Thresh and Rue are describes as being black.

Looking at this list I realize what a sick sad world Twitter can be. 

Comments

T said…
True, but the rule of thumb with these idiots is DON'T feed the trolls. They thrive on the attention and backlash and their 5 seconds in the spotlight. Ignore them and they go away.

I find twitter a fascinating place to get all my news and engage in really good debates. Maybe because I don't follow many "celebrities" I don't really come across any celeb bashing myself :)
Black Rose said…
It can be hard ignoring the trolls. They just make me so angry sometimes.

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?