Option Out: Kree Harrison Label Update

Followers of my blog know that I'm loyal viewer of American Idol and a huge fan of season 12 runner-up Kree Harrison. When I am a fan of someone I like to keep up to date on their various activities. I'm not  a stan for anyone, it takes too much energy. Do you really need to know every aspect of their personal life? Do you really have to know what hotel they are staying at? I just want to know when your next film or record is coming out. I was even accused of being a terrible Backstreet Boys fan because I did not know everything about them. Out of the "so called" fans I am the only one that has all of their records and supported them non stop for 16 years. I am not here to talk about my love for Backstreet Boys, that would take a lifetime. I am here to keep you updated on the lovely Ms. Harrison.  I don't really listen to country music but I would buy her album in a heartbeat.

Yesterday it was announced that Universal Music Group( Idol's affiliated label) opted to not pick up their option on Kree. This is the first time that the label affiliated with Idol decided not to sign the runner-up. My first reaction to this news was what a bunch of idiots. Then after a little thought I realized that this was a wise business decision on both sides. If you know much about country music, these days it is a boys club. There are only few female artists that play regularly on country radio. Even past powerhouses like Faith Hill are struggling to be played on country radio. Its difficult to be a female country artist in this day and age. Another factor to consider is that Kree does not fit in with the current mold of country artist. First of all, she does not have a penis. Second of all, she is not bubble gum princess nor a spitfire. She has this bluesy jazz voice a la Norah Jones and Adele, at the same time it's countrified like Patsy Cline. There is no one quite like that in country music today, I think.

Another hurdle for Kree is that she was apart of season 12 of American Idol. It garnered negative press and was least watch season since its premiere. Kree would need a good push from her record label to play on country radio. Keeping all of this in mind UMG Nashville would have been taking a huge gamble by signing Kree. Unfortunately, they decided that she was not worth the risk. Honestly they would not have had the resources to give her the proper support since their roster is overcrowded.

I am not worried about Kree getting a record deal. If she has not signed with one already, I'm positive that she is in meetings now. There is still Sony Music Nashville and Warner Music Nashville. Both of these record companies are a better fit for Kree than UMG. If she does not sign with them she must likely will sign with an independent record company where she can be the sole focus. As of right now, Kree is busy writing for her debut album and I can't wait to hear what she has in stored for us Kreepers. 

Comments

bijou.king said…
I was sort of surprised by UMG optioning out. However, you've broken it down pretty clearly...and considering it all, it is probably the most mutually beneficial decision for both parties. Kree has a unique voice and a unique story. Great things are in store for her.

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?