Not So Shady Recap: 2016 Grammys

I was really excited for the Grammys this year because I knew there was going to be some kick-ass performances. The majority of the awards were given pre-broadcast. It was looking like it was going to be a great night when I caught wind of few of the early winners: Kendrick, Chris Stapleton, Alabama Shakes, Ed Sheeran, Little Big Town, Ricky Martin and Angelique Kidjo. I wish that one of the R&B categories were televised. It would have given much needed attention to incredible R&B artists that have not gone mainstream. 

Best R&B Performance

I will admit, I thought The Weeknd would go empty handed. I was wrong, he won two Grammys last night. Sometimes I forget how great "Earned It" is. I do wish Andra Day or Tamar Braxton had won this award,  but I am not pissed off The Weeknd won. I am just surprised. It was a cherry on top a great year for him. 

Best Urban Contemporary Album

This is the category where Beauty Behind The Madness won over the likes of Blood and Wildheart . I did like The Weeknd's album but I felt that this award should have gone to Lianne La Havas 

Andra Day

Andra and Alabama Shakes were two acts who I prayed would get a chance to perform on the Grammy stage. My life was made when they were confirmed acts. Andra had one of the best vocals of the night. That was the way to introduce yourself. I am hoping she picks up a Grammy in the near future. She deserves it. I felt that "Rise Up" and  "Love Me like You Do" were two songs that did not mesh well. I think she held her own but this moment belonged to Andra.

Kendrick Lamar

This man was the true winner of the night. He gave the best performance of the night and won a total of five Grammys. I am just annoyed that he basically only won in the Rap categories. To Pimp A Butterfly  should have won Album of The Year and I believe he was robbed. To make matter worse he lost to 1989. He did not lose to Traveller nor Sound & Color ( two other records deserving of the prize). I might have had a meltdown over various social media accounts. It was a disappointing and predictable end to what could have been a top night. I better prepare myself for the chance of Sam Smith winning an Oscar in a couple of weeks. 

Best New Artist

Meghan Trainor won her first Grammy last night in this category. I for one believe that she deserved it. She is a talented singer-songwriter that has released a string of hits. Would it have been nice for Tori Kelly or James Bay to have won, of course.  I just think Meghan is a lot better than people give her credit. 

Tori Kelly and James Bay

Out of a of the duets this one was my favorite. Their songs blended well together and they were able to showcase who they were as artists. 

Adele

This was one of the performances I was looking forward to. I am always nervous when she performs because you never know what you are going to get. Adele is notorious for being nervous about performing live. I was hoping the nerves would not get to her. Would this be another moment for her like when she first performed "Someone Like You" at the Brits?  Her performance was memorable but not for good reasons. She was the only performer who's mic went out. To make matters worse a mic fell inside the piano causing a sound that sounded like an amateur guitarist was playing along with them. I just hate that all the technical problems happened during her set. At least we have Ellen and the Brits.

 Lady Gaga
This woman right here has been having one hell of a year.  After her show stopping performance of the national anthem at the Super Bowl, she really had nothing to prove. I thought she sounded amazing and the costumes were ridiculous( in a good way). It was a great tribute to David Bowie ,but I can see where people might have had issues with it. In my opinion this performance was one of the best of the night. Now she just needs to come back to pop radio.

BB King Tribute

When I saw the lineup, I said this was going to be the Hozier and Annie Lennox moment of the night. Chris's voice stabs me right in the gut. Don't get me going about Gary Clark Jr. When Chris and Gary were harmonizing on stage my ears were in heaven. I thought I would collapse once Bonnie Raitt came out like a boss with that electric guitar. Now kids, that is what a cala showstopping number. 

Lionel Richie Tribute

Lionel Richie is arguably one of the greatest songwriters of altime. You can never go wrong with John Legend. He was simple and perfect.  The showstopper in this number was the incredible Demi Lovato. She got Twitter buzzing over her performance. You know you are killing it if you have Lionel Richie screaming yes from his seat. I hope she continues to show off those incredible pipes of hers. Tyrese, Meghan and Luke were great as well. I would have liked it if they harmonized more but it was a great number. I was singing along the whole time. 

Hamilton

This will probably be the closest I get to seeing Hamilton on Broadway. Its' Grammy win was a well deserved honor. It will sweep the Tonys and continue to break records on Broadway. 

Alabama Shakes
"Don't Wanna Fight" on the Grammy stage. That was a dream come true for me. Brittany's look was flawless. I want that cape so badly. I am happy people are finding out about Alabama Shakes. Brittany's voice feels like I drank a smooth glass of red wine followed by three shots of whiskey and a shot of brandy. She messes you up in the best possible way. 

Disclaimer: I am not too happy with the presentation of the post but my computer hates me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?