My Big Fat Feminist Mouth

Yesterday my big fat feminist mouth got me in trouble, actually it got me noticed. I was watching Trading Spouses which I should have know would get me trouble because recently have been overtly critical of reality shows. So in this episode a woman from more of a working class in Massachusetts switched places with a woman from a upper middle class in California. These two women were also different in appearance, it was safe to say the spouse from California cared about her appearance and was thin. The other woman did not care much for her appearance and was more heavyset. I was not feeling the way they were portraying the woman from Massachusetts, it appeared that she was loud and obnoxious. It was obvious to me that she did not fit into white middle class femininity because she was outspoken and loud. The women she came into contact with did not like her because she was different, I sympathized with the woman but one of my roommates hit a nerve when she called her disgusting. Wait a second, why is she disgusting? Is it because she is not a cookie cutter? Or does it have to do with her looks? So me being me decided to ask her why is she disgusting. She told me she's disgusting because she is a bitch. Disgusting and bitch do not go hand to hand. One thing Janice Dickinson would be described as a bitch but I do not see people saying she is disgusting because she is a bitch. It felt to me like a classist and sizist( if those are words) attack. So we got into some words about that, she was annoyed by me. One point she says you always bring feminism and social analysis to things. Well duh, if I am good at thinking about things it will only get worse(better depending on how you look at things). I admit I can be annoying because I suck the fun out of things but I do not see how something that is racist, sexist, classist or sizist can be entertaining if anything they are degrading. Over winter break I get in trouble with my sister as well because I did the same thing. Not to mention two years I ago I saw 300 and was disgusted by it. That was one of the most racist films I have seen and people wrote it off because it was suppose to entertaining. The more I educate myself the more my big fat feminist mouth will get me in trouble, I say bring it on.

Comments

professor carla said…
first of all, i love the title of your blog. we need more truth telling from black and every other color rose! second, i love that you're using your education and speaking with your big fat feminist mouth! why waste your education or the chance to educate others? if more women did the same, we'd be in a better place. keep talking and writing the truth real, loud, and clear!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?