A page out of my black history

This month is black history month, which I still find a bit problematic. During my naive years I used to think that dedicating a whole month to the achievements of black folk was an excellent idea. Now I am looking forward to the day when there would be no need for having black history month because black history would have been integrated within American history. Neither the less this month I have been thinking about how I came into my own chocolate deliciousness(not really a phrase yet but it will catch on). I have always been surrounded by beautiful, strong and intelligent women. The women in my family were a force to be reckon with. They had a sense of entitlement and did not let anyone mess them around. I wanted to grow up to be as elegant and beautiful as Keisha from the R&B group Total. Fun fact she is now married to Omar Epps(he has good taste). As a child of the 90's my heroines were Wednesday from the Adams Family, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Xena the Warrior Princess. I do not think there are characters like these on the television or movie screens anymore. Who do little girls look up to now? Miley Cyrus and Vanessa Hudgens. Umm I will take my Christina Ricci any day. So the idea of fighting for what I believe in was never new to but during my adolescent years I had brought into ideas of how a woman should act I learnt to bite my tongue. When I came to college I really starting to grow into my own shell. I started to analyze all the stuff that I took for granted or neglected to pay attention to. For example why are movies done by black filmmakers like Tyler Perry called black movies and movies done by white filmmakers are not called white movies? Why does Disney think by having a black princess in a movie it will forgive them of all their previous sins? Why does all the Disney cartoons that take place in Africa have not one African present? Why can i count how many people of color I can see on the magazine stand?(most of the time they are on magazine that have been designed for them). Why do i get followed in stores? Why do young white men pull their girlfriends to a side whenever they see me coming? Why do people have a sick desire to bring a successful black man down? Why do young black men get killed for no good reason then the color of their skin? Once these questions were being asked I ripped the bondage on my mouth and my words began to bleed out. Everyday I continue to write a page in my own black history. It is interesting to see where I am going and how far I have come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?