Powerful

So I am in the last stretch before I journey to Liberia. I have been a nervous wreck for the past two weeks thinking about all I have to get done but things have been progressing smoothly. I just have to breathe and take everything a day at a time. As long as I do not wait until the last minute, I can breathe. While trying to recovery from all the activities of today( bitter cold and traumatic moment) I came across a powerful ad. Below is a South African PSA about domestic abuse. It was done by People Opposing Women Abuse. It is an extremely powerful PSA and I applauded them for creating it. Take a look at it. What happens is shocking. It really illustrates the "bystander effect". If my memory serves me correct the bystander effect is the theory that states people are least likely to help people in need if others are around. The sort of idea that someone else will intervene and you wait until someone does. I believe this happens a lot in abuse causes. Beside "bystander effect" I also believe people do not like to get involved in other people's problems because they believe it is none of their business. That could be another reason why people do not help people they feel are being abused. I think it is time for people to be a little bit nosy. If you believe someone is being abuse, do not shy away from following up. Check to see if the person is alright, report the crime. You could be the one person to make the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?