Understanding Transphobia: No I Did not Stutter

Recently I have been thinking about transphobia. I realize that is not the most common thought to plague ones mind but here I am. There are so many thoughts swimming in my head right now that I'm a bit conflicted about what I want to say. This is a topic that is very dear to me and I want to get my point across effectively. I entitled this blog post as Understanding Transphobia because it is something that continues to baffle me. Apart of me understands it on a societal level but in principle it makes no sense. Growing up I was not exposed to anything dealing with the LGBT community. Transgender was a term that I knew absolutely nothing about and when I did know the stereotypes were disheartening. In the media a trans person is always something of a punch line. There is no space for them to be perceived as humans with dreams, ambitions and most importantly desires. They are just "things" for people to marvel out and laugh at. What is it about transgender women and men that scares people so much? I can't fully answer that question.  I believe that Transphobia is where hetrosexism and sexism intersect.Our notions about what it means to be male and female tends to pigeonhole people into certain categories. There is no room for a spectrum of male and female. If there was than transphobia would cease to exist.

Do you know the life expectancy for trans person globally is 23 years old. That statistic is hugely influenced by the mass murder and high suicide rate of transgender people every year. From the beginning they are told that something is wrong with them. If they dare to be themselves they risk their lives. It is a disgusting and sad cycle that I hope in the upcoming years breaks. To all my brothers and sisters out there , no matter how much you weigh, what you skin tone is, whom you love, where you live and what God you pray to there is nothing wrong with loving who you are. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Gosh, I sound like a Lady Gaga record.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?