Inside Voices

Hate knows that love is the cure
A video came to my attention today, video posted by two teenage girls from Gainesville, Florida. It reminded me of a video I had watched  a few months ago about a college student's rant on her Asian classmates. I never thought anything could be more offensive; clearly I was wrong and naive. In this video which has gone viral, these two girls go on a rant about how much they hate black people. When I say hate I mean that in every sense of the word. Being a black female this video offended me on so many levels. There are some thoughts that should never be spoken out loud. In fact this entire video should have never been posted. Who in their right mind would post a video that insults an entire group of people? It is not like they are talking about people who only wear yellow but  specifically about Black Americans. Claiming that all they do is cash in their welfare checks and use food stamps. I was screaming inside my t shirt but I could not look away. It was a full on train wreck. Don't even get me started on their usage of the "N" word. They are old enough to know that some things  are unacceptable. I was not even mad watching this video but only heartbroken. It always hurts me when I hear people spewing hatred towards a group of people. It does not matter who the hate is directed towards, it will always offend me. I have decided not to post the video but if you want to watch it here is a linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAR2h5aSQO4

I am sure this video has caused some much needed debate about racism in America. With this month being Black History Month, I am reminded how far we have come and how much further we have to go. I dream of the days when videos like this cease to exist. I always believed that the younger generation had a better outlook to race than us older folks. Watching this video made me realize that hate will continue to exist without confrontation. I am not talking about an attack on the girls because they are only the by-product of the problem. If we can figure out the roots of the problem then can we begin to solve it. So that our future generations will be filled with love and acceptance. We owe it to ourselves and to them.

Comments

bijou.king said…
Watching this video and hearing the things these white teenage girls were saying was a wake-up call. In the age of Obama (what some people thought would be a post-racist era), it's really sad how ignorant and hateful people still are about black people. I wouldn't say that I, as a black female, was offended, because let's face it racism is real because it is experienced as real. I experience racism on some level every day, whether someone calls me the "n" word as I'm walking down the street or if someone simply crosses the street to avoid coming too close to my being - directly or indirectly. I just have to know and believe that I am relevant, because no matter who you are, someone will try to bring you down. But if anything, this video should shame some folks and these girls, and their PARENTS should be ashamed!

Thanks for sharing this!

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?