Skittles and Iced Tea

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" 
Martin Luther King Jr 
On February 26, a 17 year old boy by name of Trayvon Martin was shot in the chest on his way home from buying a bag of skittles and iced tea for his younger brother. He was killed by a neighborhood watch member by the name of George Zimmerman who was twice his size,convinced that Trayvon was up to no good or on drugs.  When the police arrived Zimmerman told them that he acted in self defense. The police took his word and no arrest was made nor did they administer drug and alcohol test to Zimmerman. Over a month later it appears that not all was what it seemed on that fateful February night. The more information that was released the more that the pieces did not fit anymore.

There is evidence that suggest at least one witness statements was altered. This has lead people to question the conduct of the Sanford police in the shooting investigation. It is learned that Zimmerman violated major neighborhood watch principles by perusing Trayvon. The Sanford police are still adamant that there is no evidence that proves Zimmerman did not act in self defense. This does not sit well with the general public who demands for justice. There is an online petition for Zimmerman arrest that has surpassed 1.5 million signatures last Friday. There have been several "Million Hoodie March". As of right now the US Justice Department has launched an investigation into the death of Trayvon Martin. On April 10 a grand jury will convene to review the evidence of the case.

I am ashamed to admit that not until over a week ago did I hear about Trayvon Martin. When I learnt about Trayvon my heart was broken. In his eyes I saw my brother, my nephew, my cousins, my uncles, my father and my unborn son. A case like this could have happened to anyone of them. Is this the fate that is destined for all the black men I love? That the color of their skin automatically makes them seen as a threat in a stranger's eyes. Is this really the world we live in? Sometimes I have to remind myself how broken our society is and how interwoven racism is in our culture. It is not a reality that I like accepting but being aware is a crucial step in changing the status quo.

What I do not understand about this whole ordeal is  how wearing a hoodie automatically makes you dangerous. If I saw Trayvon walking in my neighborhood, it would not phase me. Hoodies is what we used to wear in college. Majority of young people I see wear hoodies and I do not see anything suspicious about them. This case is one that I will keep a watchful eye on. All that I want is justice for Trayvon Martin. That is all I want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?