That's a Wrap

Now that Memorial Weekend is upon us(well at least here in the USA), summer has officially began. Which means that May sweeps is coming to a close as our favorite television shows bid as adieu until the fall. It won't be all bad since True Blood(HBO) returns June 10. I have suspicion it will be a good as the first two seasons this year. My guilty pleasure Awkward(MTV) also returns next month. Now sit back and relax as I take you on a journey of the high, the lows and big old hot messes of the 2011-2012 Television season.

The Walking Dead, AMC
The Goods: The producers were not kidding when they said the second half of the season would be action packed. I was on the edge of my seat every single episode. Not to mention I got misty-eyed during the epic conclusion of my favorite bromance. You knew it was imminent but it still was gut-wrenching to witness. Each character continued to evolve and it was beautiful to watch. How this new life was hardening them, some for the better and most for the worst. With the introduction of Michonne and wide shot of the prison during the season finale, I am so ready for third season.
The Ugly: Not a damn thing
Grade: A+

Shameless, Showtime
The Goods: Gallaghers return as crazy and as dysfunctional as ever. Frank continues to be a despicable human being but such an amazing character. Fiona breaks my heart every episode, it is too much for her to be happy. If William H Macy and Emmy Rossum do not get nominated for an Emmy this year it will be a crime. Sheila Jackson is my spirit animal. I think she is the only character that can commit euthanasia and for it to be hilarious. Kevin learning how to read was one of the highlights of the second season. "circle does not start with s", had me in hysterics. A good mix of raw emotion and the ridiculousness.
The Ugly: I just do not like Steve which sucks since it looks like him and Fiona are end game.
Grade: A


Game of Thrones, HBO
The Goods: Not too many shows get better with time. Game of Thrones is one of the exceptions. This season is splendid and puts most shows on TV to shame. You never know the true intentions of the characters which makes for interesting TV. What I love so much about this show is how powerful and bad-ass the women are. Can I get an amen for Brienne of Tarth and my little B.A.B in the making Arya Stark. Tyrion played brilliantly by Peter Dinklage continues to be one my favorite characters along with the beautiful tortured soul Jon Snow. Oh yeah we got to see King Joffrey being slapped a couple of times which always makes me happy.
The Ugly: You really have to be paying attention, you step away for few seconds and you miss the whole game.
Grade: A



Girls, HBO
The Goods: Lena Dunham not only stares in this quirky comedy but she writes, produces and directs the series. I cannot recall ever seeing characters like this on my TV screen before. Anyone who ever been a little bit lost in their lives will be able to relate to this series.
The Ugly: The characters are a tad too real at times which makes things a little boring and cringe worthy at times.
Grade: B

Smash, NBC
The Goods: I just recently started watching Smash and I am hooked. It is everything I thought it would be and more. I just love the friendships that are displayed on the show. What I love so much is how they really showcase the in and outs of bringing a Broadway show to life.
The Ugly: There have been cheesy numbers, the dancers singing at a bowling alley gave me Glee flashbacks. I personally prefer when they do musical numbers from their production of Bombshell. It is suppose to be about musical theater after all
Grade: A-

Modern Family, ABC
The Goods: The cast continues to deliver every single episode. Will someone please give Sofia Vergara an Emmy already.
The Ugly: I am not too sure what happened during the second part of this season . The last few episodes have not been up to par with the rest of the season.
Grade: B+


American Idol, FOX
The Goods: The judges always do a great job of finding remarkable talent. I have to give them a kiss for introducing the world to Phillip Phillips, Skylar Laine( country star in the making), and Heejan Hun(someone get him a talent agent ASAP). I was a little bummed out Erika and Elise did not make strong connections with the audience, they were incredible.
The Ugly: With all the other talent shows popping out American Idol is falling behind to me. I believe that the next season should be their last. I think it is always good to leave with your head held high, don't overstay your welcome.
Grade: B

I have to catch up with Grimm(NBC) and Once Upon a Time(ABC). I missed fair amount of episodes during the spring season. I did catch up on Boardwalk Empire(HBO) and all I can say is now that is what I call a TV show. Only The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have given the second season of Boardwalk Empire a run for their money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?