Chariots of Fire: London 2012

On the eve of the 2012 Summer Olympics, my excitement was at a fever pitch. I have never been so excited about the Olympics my entire life. Maybe it was because it was in London or maybe it was because I needed something to look forward to. Whatever the reason, London 2012 have consumed my energy since  the opening ceremony. I have to give mad props to Danny Boyle for concocting a  fantastic opening ceremony. I loved how it paid to homage to the different eras of Great Britain. My favorite part was the transition to the Industrial revolution. Obviously Mr. Bean being apart of the opening ceremony was legendary. You can't celebrate UK without acknowledging the comedic genius that is Mr. Bean. Unfortunately I did not see all of the opening ceremony but how fabulous were the Independent Athletes.

When the games were underway my love for swimming and gymnastics remained. I have a new swimming crush, Chad Le Clos. He made all of Africa proud when he won the Gold against Michel Phelps. Then Gabby Douglas made history when she became the first African American to win the individual  All Around gold medal for gymnastics. I discovered a new sport Canoe Slalom( So proud of Jessica Fox) and new love for synchronized swimming. Seriously how fantastic were the duets from Russia, Spain and China. These women are beasts in the water.I can't wait until the Women's team routines.

There have been great matches particularly the the women's football match between USA and Canada. Now that is what I call a footie match. Hope Solo was bad-ass as usual and Sinclair was almost unstoppable.
Something unfathomable happened while watching the Women's Pair(Rowing). When the Great Britain pair was coming to the finish line, there was a burning sensation in my eyes which caused tears to roll down my cheek. I have to check it out because it must be some kind of condition. Also the Men's Lightweight Four made my heart soar. Who would have guessed that South Africa would have won that match? Once again South Africa was making me proud. Not until the Athletics competition did we get to see more African countries at the podium. So far South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco are the only African countries to medal. Hopefully we will get some more medals by the time the games close next week. China and the USA are leading the medal count. When the dust settles I believe that they will be the two countries with the most medals.

As you can tell I don't have a particular allegiance to any country. Since I am Liberian and I grew up in Africa, I root for all the African teams. It is what us Africans do. I also am supporting  Australia because I study abroad in the country and I just love everything Australian. I also root for Great Britain because they are the host nation. Sometimes I just root for people that I like regardless where they come from. Obviously since I am also American, I root for them too. What countries are you rooting for?

There have been some amazing individuals at these games. Oscar Pistorius is an inspiration to everyone. I hope he comes back to compete in Rio. Then there are the women who are the first women to compete in their countries. What trail blazers they are. What have been your favorite stories from the games?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?