The M-E

Last night was the big night here in America. I am talking about the big game. When you bring out your favorite t shirts to root for your favorite teams. Yes, last night was the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards. Oh, you thought I was talking about American Football. Don't be silly! What do I know about NFL anyways? Besides the fact that New England Patriots lost last night to the Baltimore Ravens. Then earlier in the day Philadelphia Eagles lost to the Arizona Cardinals. Looks like it is going to be one heck of a season. There were similar upsets last night during the Emmys. All of last week I was anticipating the red carpet, the acceptance speeches and the rest of the circus that is an award show. I had my favorites picked out and I was waiting to see if my predictions were accurate. Below is my breakdown of the main event.


Surprise Winners

  • Jon Cryer winning for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series was hands down the biggest upset of the evening. I really believed that Don Cheadle had that win in the bag for his incredible performance of Marty Kaan in House of Lies. Anyways, hopefully next year he will win. 
  • Damien Lewis won the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama series over the favorite Bryan Cranston. I was in shock, no one wins against the black hole that is Bryan Cranston. This is the first time he has lost in this category. The man is so freaking brilliant in the role of Walter White. Regardless, Damien Lewis win was well deserved. His performance in Homeland is outstanding. If have yet to watch Homeland, get on it. 
  • Even though I predicted Julia Louis-Dreyfus would win for her role as Selina Meyer in Veep, it was still a shock that she beat the impeccable Amy Poehler. Once again if you have not watched Veep yet, get on it. 
  • I think it was a big upset that Homeland won over Mad Men. It was a well deserved win if I might say. 

Highlights
  • Aaron Paul  won for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of my little Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad. I was really happy that he won and I love how earnest his wins are. I was a little disappointed that Giancarlo Esposito did not win for his chilling performance of Gustavo Fring. What I loved about Aaron Paul win was how excited Giancarlo was for him. That is why it was my favorite moment of the entire show. 
  • Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon tackling Jon Stewart to the ground after his tenth win for Outstanding Variety Series. I just love all three men. 
  • During Claire Danes acceptance speech she referred to her husband Hugh Dancy as her baby daddy. 
  • I thought that Jimmy Kimmel was a great host. He had the right amount of humor for this event.
Where Have I Been?
  • Last night Danny Strong won for Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special for the Game Change. My first reaction when I saw him get on the podium was, wait a second that is Doyle. Doyle is hotshot screenwriter now. Where have I been? What was in the water on the Gilmore Girls set? Most of the actors from that show went to bigger and better things. Danny Strong is an Emmy award winning screenwriter. He wrote Recount and The Butler which comes out next year. Todd Lowe is Terry in True Blood. Jared Padlaecki is in the fan favorite Supernatural. Matt Czuchry is now in The Good Wife. Milo was in Heroes and Melissa McCarthy is not only an Emmy Award winning actress but an Academy Award nominated actress. What was in that water? 
The Power of Yellow
  • Not only did it appear that yellow was the new black on the red carpet but if you wore yellow there was a good chance you would take home a trophy. Think about it. Julianne Moore wore yellow and she won Outstanding Lead Actress in a Mini-Series or Movie. Julie Bowen wore yellow and won for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. Then last but not least, Claire Danes wore yellow and won for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. All three ladies looked absolutely amazing last night. 
Modern Family
  • I really thought that this was going to be Ed O'Neill year for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. Eric Stonestreet is always a well deserved win but I really thought Ed would win this year.
  • The same goes for Sophia Vergara, I thought this was her year. Oh, well maybe next year.
  • When Modern Family won for Outstanding Comedy Series I got worried. I hope that people do not get burned out by the Modern Family dominance during the Emmy Awards. It is a great show that continues to deliver, I hope that their wins won't make people sick of them. 
That was my wrap up of the Emmy Awards. What did you think was the biggest snub of the evening? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?