Love in a Time of War: Syria

I write this blog post on the eve of a likely strike on Syria. The thought of an attack on Syria leaves me with a heavy heart. There is no doubt in my mind that crimes against humanity have and are occurring in Syria. Blood is on the hands of both the Syrian government and the armed rebellion. The past few weeks it was revealed that chemical weapons were used on the Syrian people. If this is in fact true, an unthinkable crime has occurred. I just do not believe that military action is the best solution to the Syrian crisis. There will be civilian casualties and that is something I do not feel comfortable with. I can understand theoretically why the Obama Administration is pushing for military action, but I don't understand it on a spiritual level.

War is something that changes a country forever. I have lived in countries that have experienced devastating civil wars. I have witnessed the destruction war has on the infrastructure of these countries. I have seen how children's innocence are stolen from them. We are nothing more than visitors on this planet. We were created to learn and to love. Somehow we have forgotten our purpose in this world and corrupted the balance of life with war. The Syrian people are our brothers, our sisters, our mothers, our fathers and our children. We have failed them for allowing these crimes to exists. We owe it to ourselves and to them to do right by them. Military action even limited military action is not the right course of action. I am not sure what the steps we can take to help stop the bloodshed. I just want us to refrain from dialogue of potential attacks and switch to dialogue about providing assistance to the Syrian refugees. Maybe we could even discuss supporting the non- violent opposition that barely makes ink on the international stage.

I am not sure I made any sense in this blog post. Maybe it was nothing more than ramblings from a tree hugging feminist liberal hippie. Maybe it was just a manifesto from a lover and a dreamer. Whatever this is, I hope it has caused you to think. Tell me your opinions on this matter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?