Time for Peace

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them  Lois McMaster Bujold
A few hours ago, I watched as  Prosecutor Robert McCullough announced that the grand jury chose to not indict Darren Wilson. I was not surprised, but the announcement was still painful. I could only imagine the pain the Brown family felt when they heard the decision. Different emotions hit me all at once: anger, sadness, hopelessness. History was repeating itself and I could not stand it.
Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe. Frederick Douglass 
 There were calls for peaceful protests from several officials and I believe that is the only way to proceed. I just do not understand how you can call for peaceful protests when you make the announcement at nightfall. You want people to peacefully assemble, but you show up dressed in riot gear. How do you expect people respond when you throw tear gas into the crowd? Don't forget the governor of Missouri had already declared a state of emergency days prior. These actions make it appear that they wanted a riot.
Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create. Pope John Paul II 
 It is important that people realize that not everyone who is protesting are involved with the destruction of property. It only takes a few people to start a fire and to break a store window. I am seeing gross generalizations and I just needed to address them.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of hearing about these types of cases. I am tired of hearing about police officers killing unarmed men(sometimes boys). The justice system keeps failing on our sons. We need change in this country. I am keeping Ferguson in my thoughts and prayers tonight. It will not be easy road, but it is a road that needs to be taken.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?