Music to Cleanse your Musical Palate

I realized two years ago that I was becoming too old for the VMA's. It might have been the sight of Miley Cyrus gyrating against Robin Thicke's crotch that did the trick. Watching this year made me realize that it was time to throw in the towel.  Most of the winners had me thinking, am I watching the Teen Choice Awards?

It is not just the VMA's, mainstream music is quite basic. Gosh, I sound like Azealia Banks. Some people were offended when P!nk said that mainstream music was trash, but she does have a point. Watching a gem like Straight Outta of Compton made me think where is this generation's N.W.A? Music is meant to inspire, heal and make you feel.

I know I sound pessimistic, but there is still a lot of great music being made. Unfortunately, it is not being played on Mainstream radio. For instance Tyrese and Jill Scott released amazing records this year that were met with critical acclaim. The chances they would get played on Top 40 radio is slim. I hope that they get much deserved Grammy love. Tori Kelly aka Madame Slay continued her award show performance excellence. Now she needs to perform at the American Music Awards and the Grammys to finish her Tori Slam.

Somehow I managed to get sidetracked about what I wanted to talk about. Here are some amazing tracks by some outstanding female artists.

1. Elle King 
I don't like Elle King...I phucking love her.  Her voice is the lovechild of the great Janis Joplin and Duffy. It sounds strange but it's magnificent.

You can purchase her record here.

2. Lianne La Havas
This British songbird has stolen my heart and I hope she never gives it back. Her latest record Blood is out in stores now


3. Alessia Cara
leave it to a Canadian teenager to articulate my entire high school experience. You can purchase Alessia's debut EP Four Pink Walls here


4. Rita Ora
I am obsessed with "Body on Me". This record is pure sex.

5. Bonus Track

If you want music to make you feel, listen to this track. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feminist Wednesday: Try

The List: The Sexiest Men 2013 Edition

What Can You Do Now?